Thursday, February 28, 2013

No Grains, No Dairy, No Legumes... OH MY!

It seems like I'm always embarking on some nutritional challenge; raw foods, vegetarian, vegan, no sugar, low carb... you get the idea. My latest attempts are an effort to reverse my insulin resistance and insomnia. I've been (basically) added-sugar free for 3 weeks, and caffeine free for a month. One nutritional framework that has been suggested to me by numerous friends as well as my nutritionist is a paleolithic diet. Commonly known as paleo, primal, or caveman diet, this approach is build on eating similar to the ways our ancient ancestors ate; wild/grass-fed meats and poultry, fish and seafood, eggs, nuts, seeds, and a wide variety of vegetables and fruits.

This nutritional approach avoids some staples of the standard American diet (aka SAD) such as dairy (with the exception of clarified butter or ghee), grains (including corn), and legumes (including peanuts, peas, and soy). A paleo diet also does not include added sugars (natural or artificial, raw honey is allowed after the 'reset' phase in small quantities), alcohol (small amounts of wine are allowed after the 'reset' phase), and basically shuns processed foods of any kind (and there is "paleo" junk food out there). There is a plethora of information and studies on the benefits of eliminating these items from your diet. Simply do a Google search and numerous resources are available (many from very prestigious and well-respected research institutes). If you've ever read "Omnivores Dilemma" by Michael Pollin you would think twice about what you're eating. I'm half way through this on audio book and my mind is boggled.

Nay-sayers claim you "need" dairy and grain in your diet; this is false. We "need" calcium and carbohydrates, both of which are readily available in a variety of fruits and vegetables. On of the benefits of a paleo nutritional approach is a reduced insulin response and stabilized blood sugars. This is my ultimate goal: to reverse my insulin resistance (which is a pre-diabetic condition). I'm also hoping my sleep patterns will improve (I am a life long poor sleeper with numerous bouts of insomnia).

For the month of March I will be doing the Whole30 challenge which is a 30-day cleanse and detox to help reset your metabolism and rid your body of built up toxins from eating SAD. I won't post 'every' paleo meal I make but I'll share some of the tastier ones as well as my adventures in making mayo, homemade BBQ sauce, and beef jerky.

Have you ever done a Whole30? Are you familiar with the paleo diet? Are you or someone you know following a paleo framework? I'd love to hear what you have to say about it:)

No comments:

Post a Comment