Thursday, June 14, 2012

CSA Week 2

Every Thursday for the next 18 weeks is going to be like a mini Christmas for me! It's CSA pick-up day at Long Meadow Farm in West Gardiner. It's still very early in the growing season here in Maine, but the goods are so yummy!

Today was sunny and gorgeous so the drive out to the farm was especially nice! When I arrived at the share house my basket of veggies was overflowing with spring crops; baby beets with the greens, swiss chard, a normal sized head of leaf lettuce, sugar snap peas, and kale! There was also a promise of carrots coming soon!!

This is pretty much identical to what I got last week, so I'll have to come up with some new things to make this week. I'll certainly make a big tossed salad (I still have more than half the head of lettuce from last week) and probably bring it into work to share. I'll make another batch of the Kale and Chickpea stew that I made last week, too. BUT, that still leaves me with more kale, beets, beet greens, swiss chard, and sugar snap peas to use this week. I'll likely add the sugar snap peas to my sweet and sour tempeh stir fry. I was thinking about making beet chips, or roasted beets and potatoes. I would like to do something different with the beet greens and swiss chard but not really sure. Here are a few ideas, thoughts?

Swiss Chard Frittata I'm thinking I could add in some beet greens as well.

Swiss Chard and Chickpeas Again, I'd throw in some beet greens and probably substitute orzo for the rice.

Swiss Chard, Onion and Cheese Enchiladas STOP THE PRESSES! We may have a winner here! I <3 mexican flavors and this looks like it would reheat really well (hello! leftovers for lunches)!

Which of the recipes above should I make with my swiss chard and beet greens?

No comments:

Post a Comment