Sunday, June 17, 2012

Tempt Me Tempeh!

Sweet and Sour Tempeh
Last week I bought some locally made organic tempeh from the Kennebec Local Food Initiative (KLFI). Not sure what to make with my tempeh, I went straight to my favorite recipe site Foodgawker.com and came across this little gem from The Hungry Birdie! I was pretty sure, judging by the ingredient list, that this would be a winning recipe as it has some of my favorite flavors (ginger, garlic, cilantro, hot sauce, lime). I followed the recipe almost exactly (I omitted the ginger ale from the sauce and added a handful of string beans to the veggie mix).

Just a few ingredients!
This is a very simple one (cooking) pan recipe that packs a LOT of punch! Be prepared to get your stove top messy, the pan frying of the tempeh caused quite a bit of splatter (an apron would be a good idea or you could just wear a junky old t-shirt like I did).
Serve the tempeh over the veggies with a side of brown rice, garnish with fresh cilantro and a small handful of salted peanuts and you've got yourself 5-star dining at home! The sauce alone is so good I had to step away from it for fear I'd eat it all by itself and have none left to cook with!

Serve with fresh
cilantro,salted peanuts,
over brown rice!
Recipe Review: A BIG TIME winner! I'll make this one again and again. I liked my addition of the string beans, and that sauce is to-die-for, I'll have to find other ways to use it!


Locally made organic tempeh!
Best tempeh EVER!!
 Have you ever tried tempeh? What's your favorite tempeh recipe?

Pan frying the tempeh.
Veggies in sauce
Tempeh in sauce






This is what Andy had for dinner,
baked chicken thighs with steamed
green beans... BORING!

No comments:

Post a Comment