Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Greens and Eggs

CSA share week 1
I'm learning (quickly) that when you are the only vegetarian in the house and you are part of a CSA you'll be eating A LOT of greens!! I picked up my first CSA share last Thursday, it included: kale, beets with the greens, sugar snap peas, swiss chard, and a ginormous head of red leaf lettuce. My head was spinning with ideas about what to make with all this awesome stuff.

Greens and Eggs
Huge Ass Salad!
I made a HUGE ASS tossed salad (and I still have more than half the head of lettuce left)! I could literally feed a dozen people with this salad, but alas, it will just be me eating it (and possibly some co-workers). Sunday, I made a fabulous kale and chickpea stew with vegetarian chorizo (this recipe will be going into the regular rotation). Tonight I made use of the beet greens and swiss chard in a saute with garlic and topped with feta (made locally by Pine Land Creamery). I served my sauteed greens with over-easy eggs and toast. Have you ever noticed how bright and vibrant local eggs are compared to their grocery store counterparts? The picture doesn't do them justice (because I use have a crappy camera), but the yolks are ORANGE! And they taste sooooo much better.
Look at the SIZE of this lettuce!
I still have beets and sugar snap peas (and the rest of the HUGE lettuce) to eat, AND I'll get another delivery on Thursday!!

Do any of you do a CSA? What goodies are you getting and what are you doing with all that yummy produce?

2 comments:

  1. Lots of greens can be blanched and frozen for the winter. Super easy to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to remember that, I may have a hard time eating all those greens!!!

      Delete