Saturday, June 16, 2012

Move Over Lays!

Local beets from Long Meadow
Farm, West Gardiner.
I was happy to see that I received beets in my last two CSA shares! They are early season beets which means they are small, but sweet and yummy! I decided to make beet chips with my 6 little beets. They were SUPER easy to make and WOW are they delicious!! I may never eat another potato chip again!

Sliced beets ready for a toss
in the olive oil.
I don't have a fancy mandolin slicer or anything like that, I just used my trusty ole chef's knife to slice the beets as thinly as possible. I didn't even bother to peel them (just gave them a good washing). Your fingers will get a little pink but it washes off easily. I had about a cup or so of slices with the amount of beets I had. I used about 1/2 to 3/4 T of olive oil and gave them a good coating and gave them a little shaking of sea salt.

Sliced, tossed, seasoned,
and ready for the oven.
I WISH I had more baking sheets (and more beets), they shrink up  A LOT as they cook. I set my timer for 20 minutes and checked on them, the smaller and thinner slices were done, I left the others in for another 5 minutes or so. The more consistent you can be with your slices (this is where the mandolin comes in handy) the more consistently they will cook.
The final product. Take a picture,
they won't last long!!
They are soooooo delicious!! No joke, I ate them all in less then a minute! Next time I do them I'd like bigger beets (for bigger chips) and  A LOT more beets (for more chips)! I'm also going to experiment with different seasonings. Any suggestions for spices that pair well with beets?

 RECIPE REVIEW: This is a super easy, quick recipe and a delicious one at that! I think this would be a wonderful way to introduce picky eaters or kids to beets. I'll be making this one again (and again and again and again...)!

1 comment: